Monday, July 1, 2013

The Dorrian Mark. (Preview of book two.)

We got as close to the Dorrian main house as we could be without them detecting us. Nathan, Brian, and Alex headed around to the front of the house while the rest of us went towards the back. John and Seth walked in front of me and David was behind me. We stopped just short of the shield around the Dorrian main house. I reached out with my mind and looked past the shield. There were only four people outside training. Inside was a different story though. There were at least thirty people inside. Most were in one room. It was around noon, so I assumed they were probably eating. I didn’t bother to read their thoughts. The Strand I was looking for wasn’t there. I reached out as far as I could, but I didn’t sense the one I wanted.


I opened my mind to the ones with me. “I don’t sense him. He’s not here.” I said.


“He has to be here.” Seth said.


“Well, he’s not. There’s not that many people here at all.” I said.


“That’s good. Maybe we can sneak in without anyone noticing.” Brian said.


“I really don’t think Eric would let the scroll out of his sight.” I said.


“He might. I’ve never seen anyone break his shield.” Seth said.


“Tiffany did.” I said. “If you think it’s here, we’ll proceed.”


“It should be here.” Seth said.


“Alright then. Tiffany, are you ready?” I said.


“Yes.” Tiffany said.


I placed my hand on the shield and signaled for Tiffany to go. We pushed our energy into the shield. We didn’t break it though. That would alert the Dorrians inside the shield. We only made two openings big opening to get us inside. John and Seth Jumped inside the main house to the basement where Seth said they kept a lot of the weapons once we were inside the shield. Brian, Tiffany, Nathan, and Alex Jumped closer to the room where most of the people were at. David and I Jumped to the third floor where the bedrooms were. Seth told us which room belonged to Eric.


I looked down the hall once we landed to make sure nobody was coming and saw a familiar view. This is where they kept me? Right next to him?! I quickly pushed the memory out of my mind and walked to the door in front of us. There was a strong shield around the room. I didn’t sense anyone inside the room. I placed my hand on the door and pushed my energy into the shield. It took more time than I thought it would to break it, but it did break. David and I ran inside the room and shut the door behind us.


The room looked almost identical to the room I stayed in while I was being kept here. David looked inside the closet and I checked around the room. I looked under the bed, through the dresser, even went through the bathroom. The Scroll wasn’t here. Maybe Seth will have better luck. I saw David out of the corner of my eye smiling.


“Any luck?” I asked.


“No Scroll.” His smile grew. “But I did find this.”


He held up a gold chain. There was a gold circle with a black gem on the end of the chain. There was a red flame in the center of the gem.


“What is it?”


“It’s the Dorrian Mark. He can’t mark someone’s Strand without it.”


 I smiled and started walking towards him, but I felt Brian tugging on my Strand.


“What’s up?”


“They’re leaving the dining hall.” Brian said. “Get out of there.”


“We’re out of time.” I called to Seth. “Did you find it?”


“No, I don’t see it.”


“We have to leave.”


“We’ll meet you at the shield.”


David and I walked back out to the hall. I replaced the shield as best as I could. Araden showed me how to mimic someone’s mark, but I still hadn’t mastered it. After I was comfortable that Eric wouldn’t know someone was in here, I stood up and looked at David. As soon as I looked at David I felt it. Damn!  David looked down the hall and saw them. Josh and two other men behind him.


“We got to go!” I said to David.


“They’re too close. They can track us.”


Of course. “Any ideas?”


David took my hand and we Jumped outside. Right in front of the four men that were training earlier. I shot David a ‘way to go’ look. I raised my hand and placed a shield around the men, holding them in place. It was too late. They had already called. Faint pops circled us and there were at least fifteen men surrounding us already. Great!


David and I started shooting energy at them, but for everyone that fell, another replaced him. They were coming too fast. All of a sudden a bright white light came out of nowhere. Five men fell to reveal John standing behind them with his hand raised. David pushed me towards John and I practically fell in his arms. Seth was by my side instantly. He grabbed my arm and started pulling towards the shield. I heard David grunt in pain behind me. I turned to see David falling to his knees holding his chest.


“David!” I screamed.


I tried to run back to him, but John grabbed my other arm. “You have to get out of here, Eve.” He said.


“I’m not leaving him.” I said.


“Don’t worry.” Seth yelled. “I’ll get him.”


Before I could answer, John started pulling towards the shield again. Tiffany was waiting for us when we got to the shield. She made an opening in the shield and John pulled me through it. Before I had a chance to look back, John Jumped me back to the Aldarnian main house. It all happened so fast I barely knew what happen. I turned around a few times looking for David.


“Where are they?” I shouted.


“They’ll be along shortly. You need to get inside the shield.” John said.


“No.” I pushed past John. “I have to get to him.”


I was just about to Jump when I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around and nearly jumped out of my skin. Araden was holding me back. I felt a burning tingle go up my arm and run throughout my body. What’s he doing here? I jerked my arm away and tried to Jump back to the Dorrian main house, but as soon as I tried, a sharp pain shot through my temple. The pain knocked me to my knees. I could hear footsteps running towards me, but I couldn’t raise my head to see who it was. The pain was just too bad.


“What have you done?” It was Daniel’s voice, but it sounded far away. I knew he had to be close by though.


“What you should have done.” It was the first time I heard Araden show any kind of emotion. The fact that it was anger took me off guard. I scared me a little.


“You could kill her!” Daniel said.


“You really think I would kill my own granddaughter?” Araden said.


I felt Owen before I heard him. His voice was the only calm one around me. “That’s enough. We need to get her inside to the Healers.”


“She doesn’t need a Healer.” Araden said.


“Look at her!” Daniel yelled.


“She’ll be fine once she’s back home.” Araden said sternly.


I tried to stand, but my legs were too weak to hold me up. I felt a familiar h and on my head. It was Jason. My head started to spin. I couldn’t keep my open and my skin went cold. The last thing I remember was Araden picking me up off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment